Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Delicious pot roast - the meat stays together so it is easily sliced but tender too fabulous gravy.
- 1 (3 -5 lb) bottom round beef roast
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning (or seasoning of your choice)
- 4 medium carrots, cut in 2 inch lenths
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 8 medium fresh mushrooms, whole
- 12 small new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, divided (or beef broth)
- 3 tablespoons water, cold
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pre heat oven to 375F degrees.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over roast, place fat side up in dutch oven or roaster; bake uncovered for 1 hour at 375f degrees.
- Reduce heat to 325f degrees, sprinkle roast with desired seasoning; add 1/2 cup water or broth to roaster, cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the roaster from the oven; add 3/4 cup water or broth to roaster, add the potatoes carrots, onions and mushrooms, sprinkle them with salt and pepper; cover and roast for another hour or until veggies are tender.
- Remove roast to platter and slice; surround with veggies, cover with foil and keep warm.
- Add cornstarch to cold water, whisk and add to roaster, whisk while bringing to boil, simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened; ladel over roast and veggies; serve and enjoy.
I just made this for me and my husband. It is SO easy to make and it was seriously the best pot roast I have ever had and my husband can't stop talking about it. I will DEFINITELY be making this again. :)
This has to be the easiest - and best - pot roast recipe I've ever tried. Served it today for my family "Sunday supper" and it was a huge hit. Followed the recipe with the exception of the seasoning - just used salt & pepper. Sliced beautifully, cooked perfectly. No more searing the meat, just salt & pepper and put it in the oven. Fabulous. I'll never use another method for cooking a pot roast.
This was the easiest, most delicious, succulent pot roast ever. I've just made it for the third time. The Cajun spice was the perfect seasoning. The meat was fork tender, yet you could slice it. I doubled the mushrooms and carrots since I am allergic to potatoes and added more liquid to serve over noodles. The leftover meat and gravy made fantastic pot roast sandwiches on Italian rolls. It's become my new pot roast of choice.