Recipe by Connorsmom
This ham has got to be the BEST ham on the planet. My mom makes this every year (by request) for the holidays. Yes, it does take 3 days to make, but really there isn't a ton of work involved. You'll want to make sure you have a sleeping bag or heavy quilt handy for the 2nd day of prep. Also you'll need a canner big enough to hold the ham. The ham itself will be about 20 lbs. This makes a great meal for family gatherings. It is well worth the time to try it out!
Directions See How It's Made
- Have butcher cut off ham shank so it will fit in a canner.
- Day 1: Place ham in canner. Put canner on counter. Add 1 cup molasses and 1 cup vinegar. Fill canner with cold water. Ignore it.
- Day 2: Drain off all liquid. Add 1 cup molasses. Fill with cold water. Place on stove and bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat. Tape lid around edges with duct tape or masking tape to keep in heat. Open up a quilt or sleeping bag (they work best) on the floor and place the canner in the middle and wrap sleeping bag or quilt around it. Ignore it.
- Day 3: Pour off all liquid. Remove fat from the ham with a knife or your hands- right down to the muscle or meat. Mix brown sugar (1 pound) with enough sweet pickle juice to make a thick paste.
- Place a large strip of foil in a large dripper pan. Place a second large strip (each about 1 yard long) crosswise in dripper pan. Place the ham in the center and cover with the sugar mixture. Bring 2 ends of the foil up together and fold til ham is covered. Do the same with oposite length of foil. (Be sure the ham is completely encased in foil.) Bake at 250 degrees for 6 to 8 hours, then cut and serve, using syrup from cooking ham as desired.