Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I saw this recipe and can't wait to try it. Posting it here for safekeeping. Do not remove or eat for three days. No peeking! The longer this cake sits in the refrigerator, the better it gets. Store in your refrigerator.
- 1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 12 ounces frozen coconut, thawed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups Cool Whip
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- The night before you make this cake, blend together the sour cream, coconut and sugar.
- Separate 1 cup of mixture and place in a separate bowl; refrigerate both portions.
- The next day, prepare cake mix as per instructions on the back of the box, in two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans; let cool.
- Using a long, serrated knife, split both layers in half horizontally, to end up with four layers.
- Place one layer of cake on the plate of a cake stand or cake saver that has a top; spread all but the reserved 1 cup of coconut mixture between the layers.
- Mix Cool Whip together with the reserved 1 cup coconut mixture.
- Frost sides and top of cake with this mixture.
- Cover the cake and place in the refrigerator.
- Do NOT remove or eat for 3 days.
I always do this recipe. The box cake mix isn't doing the cake any justice. A simple 1-2-3 cake is the way to go. (Perferably Paula Dean's) I also put crushed pineapples between the layers as well as the coconut mixture.
I much prefer this recipe made with a butter recipe yellow cake mix, and 2 cups of granulated sugar instead of the 1 cup suggested here. I did try this recipe, but the white cake does not stack up as tall and is not as flavorful, and with 1/2 the sugar the consistency of the filling is not thick enough to hold the layers.
I love ANYTHING with coconut! I'd heard about this cake before and couldn't wait to try the recipe. It was O.K, but not as wonderful as I'd expected! Sorry. Next time, I'll bake a white cake and use my no-cook icing recipe. At least I won't have to wait three days to enjoy the cake!!