Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A soup for my special kids who had usually never tasted fresh veges. Canadian bacon is used because it is very lean.
- 8 stalks fresh celery, finely chopped with leaves
- 8 -12 slices Canadian bacon, cut in thin strips
- 2 quarts water
- 3⁄4 cup dry couscous
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) can green beans, drained cut in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- In medium microwaveable bowl add two cups of water, couscous and cover. Heat at 50% power for about 10 minutes. Check. Make sure all water is absorbed, set aside.
- Heat in large stockpot, 2 quarts of water. Add celery and margarine and salt. Cook about 15 minutes on simmer.
- Add cilantro and italian seasoning. Add bacon and green beans. Simmer about 10 minutes.Add couscous. Stir and blend into the soup. Serve.
- Note: Feel free to add a can of stewed tomatoes, any flavor to this soup. It is good with it but children sometimes like just plain tomato soup without the chunks.