1 hr 25 mins
A variation from the original recipe (Fresh Tomato Pie, from Goose Berry Patch's Made From Scratch cookbook), this serves well with a salad and crusty bread for a luncheon or a company dinner. The fresh herbs only enhance the this delectable dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup 2% buttermilk
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 8 asparagus spears, lightly steamed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons basil, fresh chopped
- 2 teaspoons chives, fresh chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, fresh chopped
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise, Hellman's
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar.
- 3Cut in the butter.
- 4Swiftly add the buttermilk to the dry mixture but be careful not to 'over mix'.
- 5Pat the dough evenly into a greased 9" pie plate.
- 6Layer the tomato slices and sprinkle with the salt, pepper and fresh herbs.
- 7In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and the three cheeses.
- 8Spread the cheese mixture over the tomato slices.
- 9Arrage the asparagus spears on top as wheel spokes with the asparagus tops to the center. Gently press them into the topping.
- 10Place the pie on the middle rack and bake at 375F for 40 minutes or until the cheese crust is golden.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 3 Cheese Tomato & Asparagus Pie
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.1
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.4 mg
- Sodium 535.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: