Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A variation from the original recipe (Fresh Tomato Pie, from Goose Berry Patch's Made From Scratch cookbook), this serves well with a salad and crusty bread for a luncheon or a company dinner. The fresh herbs only enhance the this delectable dish!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup 2% buttermilk
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 8 asparagus spears, lightly steamed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons basil, fresh chopped
- 2 teaspoons chives, fresh chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano, fresh chopped
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise, Hellman's
- 2⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar.
- Cut in the butter.
- Swiftly add the buttermilk to the dry mixture but be careful not to 'over mix'.
- Pat the dough evenly into a greased 9" pie plate.
- Layer the tomato slices and sprinkle with the salt, pepper and fresh herbs.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and the three cheeses.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the tomato slices.
- Arrage the asparagus spears on top as wheel spokes with the asparagus tops to the center. Gently press them into the topping.
- Place the pie on the middle rack and bake at 375F for 40 minutes or until the cheese crust is golden.