Recipe by littleturtle
For a healthier version use low-fat mozzarella and cottage cheese. If you would like to freeze one of the pans for later use, put it in the freezer before cooking it and cook for an hour and 1/2 instead of 1 hour when you are ready to use it. This was modified from a recipe in Real People Cookin' Low Fat.
Top Review by Lynne the Pirate Queen
Since we have a small household, I cut the recipe in half and made just one lasagna...but now I wish I had gone ahead and made a second one! :) I used a no-salt-added, organic marinara, ricotta instead of cottage cheese, and instead of marjoram (had none in the house) used basil. Also, I ended up with three layers instead of four (the coverage per layer seemed better when divided up into thirds). Wonderful flavor! I might add some garlic next time, just because we love garlic, but otherwise wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for posting!
- 3 (16 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb tofu, drained & crumbled
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 32 ounces cottage cheese or 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup dried parsley
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 lb lasagna noodle (uncooked)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring spaghetti sauce and water to a boil; add next 5 seasonings if desired, and reduce heat to a simmer (sauce should still be a little runny when lasagna is assembled; the uncooked noodles will soak up the extra moisture).
- While sauce is simmering, combine tofu, mozzarella, cottage cheese and parsely in a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Assemble the lasagna as follows: (1) spray the bottom of two 13"x9"x2" casserole pans with PAM and spoon in just enough sauce to cover the bottom (2) Place a layer of noodles on top of the sauce (3) spread 1/4 of the cheese mixture evenly over the noodles in each pan (4) sprinkle 1/4 of the spinach over the cheese (5) pour 1/4 of the sauce evenly over the top.
- Repeat layers ending with sauce, and top with parmesan cheese.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake at 350F for 1 hour.