Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This soup is great by itself, but also a nice way to use up leftovers as stir-ins. I have added ham, broccoli, chicken, peas, and other sundry bits and pieces to make this a very versatile freezer staple
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 -8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 (8 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup or 2 (8 ounce) cans mushroom soup
- 2 (8 ounce) soup cans milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (light is fine)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add onions, cooking until soft.
- Add potatoes and enough water to barely cover.
- Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender (15 - 20 minutes).
- In a medium-size bowl, combine soup and milk until smooth.
- Pour soup mixture into potato mixture and stir over low heat.
- Add cheeses, and stir until smooth. Heat, but do not boil.
- Add garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- To Freeze: Allow soup to cool, and ladle into 1 gallon freezer bag. Lay flat to freeze.
This soup was good, but I found I needed to modify it to my liking. While preparing the soup, I saute'd about 1-1/4 cups of diced onion in about 5 tablespoons of butter. Since I had to add more potatoes to the soup, I must of used about 12 cups, and cooked them in (about) 6-7 cups of water, for just about 11 minutes. Anymore than that, I think the potatoes would of been over cooked. I do think I could of probably added 13 cups of the cubed potatoes to the recipe. By the way I should mention, that any leftover potato water from which I cooked the potatoes in, I did add it to the soup. Also, to the soup I did add... 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, 1-(8 ounce) package of cream cheese, plus (4 ounces) more of the cream cheese, 1 cup of shredded Mozzarella, 1-1/2 cups of the grated Parmesan cheese, plus I also added about a 3/4 cup of shredded Italian Style Cheese, which consists of: Mozzarella, Parmesan, Romano, Fontina, and Asiago Cheese. I also threw in 1-(4.5 ounce) package of Oscar Mayer Bacon Bits, plus 1-(11.5 ounce) can of Mexicorn (drained), and 1-(15 ounce) can of whole kernel corn (drained), but next time I may just add 2-(15 ounce) cans of the whole kernel corn. By the way, the soup I used in this recipe was... cream of mushroom. This soup was pretty good, and I think one could make it to suit one's taste (by adding additional ingredients like I did). Thank you zoe,owen,andliams mommy, for posting this recipe. This is one soup I look forward to making again. Oh, and one more thing I wanted to mention... with all the ingredients used to make this soup, and with the add-ins I used, I found this soup made at least 12 servings.