Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup is great by itself, but also a nice way to use up leftovers as stir-ins. I have added ham, broccoli, chicken, peas, and other sundry bits and pieces to make this a very versatile freezer staple
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 -8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 (8 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup or 2 (8 ounce) cans mushroom soup
- 2 (8 ounce) soup cans milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (light is fine)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add onions, cooking until soft.
- Add potatoes and enough water to barely cover.
- Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender (15 - 20 minutes).
- In a medium-size bowl, combine soup and milk until smooth.
- Pour soup mixture into potato mixture and stir over low heat.
- Add cheeses, and stir until smooth. Heat, but do not boil.
- Add garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- To Freeze: Allow soup to cool, and ladle into 1 gallon freezer bag. Lay flat to freeze.