Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My daughter's favorite
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 red peppers or 3 yellow peppers or 3 green peppers, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package ground meat substitute (soy product, use (to taste)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (3 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) jar hot salsa (can use more or less depending on your taste)
- salt and pepper
- Saute onions and peppers.
- Add garlic.
- Add hamburg substitute.
- Drain and rinse beans;add.
- Add tomatoes with liquid,tomato paste and salsa.
- Cover and let simmer 1 hour.
- I like to let it sit overnight and eat the next day.
Tasty and easy! I used green pepper and a mild, but flavorful black bean & corn salsa (personal preference). I also omitted the soy product. I took this to a chili night, so it was one of three chilis served, along with baked potatoes and cornbread. Thanks for sharing!