Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Easy. Chili. Vegan-safe, can be ovo-lacto if you use real cheese. Nummy. :)
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 cups light red beans
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 1 (5 cup) bag frozen mixed peppers (green/red/yellow)
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- chili powder
- mixed red pepper, spice
- onion, spice
- If you use dry beans, you prepare those following what the bag says; soak and boil.
- Or you can use canned.
- Add tomato sauce.
- Stir, let heat up on medium flame.
- Season to taste.
- It's better the next day, or with nutritional yeast added for flavor, sour cream (tofutti vegan sour cream is my fave), however you like.
Alright, so there wasn't a whole lot of direction with this recipe and being a first time crock-pot user in addition to being a first time chili maker-- I've gotta say-- it wasn't bad.
I didn't add peppers and made my own style of this recipe-- which was pretty fantastic (but possibly more tomato sauce needed to be added)--
I added two cloves of garlic, did not have red beans or mixed peppers so did not add them-- but did have perfectly ripe tomatoes (two huge ones, so I used them), I added one jalapeño pepper and one serrano pepper, in addition to adding cayenne pepper and curry. I was moderately liberal with both of the spices. I put it in a crock pot for two hours at low-medium heat, stirring occasionally (while I was doing household things) and then left it in a crockpot (with heat off) for one more hour. I then had enough that I was able to freeze one bag and am going to have this other one for the next week or so.
I would recommend *real* tomato sauce/using about 2-3 small cans of tomato sauce or 1 1/2 tomato sauce. GOOD RECIPE. THANK YOU.