Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I threw this together from wanting minestrone but not having celery or zucchini, and not being sure about throwing ditalini into the crockpot overnight - would that suck up too much water, or not cook well? This is what happened, and it's worth repeating. You might want to add more bullion or a different flavor (beef or mushroom instead of chicken?).
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 3 tablespoons basil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (small)
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes (I used 1 can fire-roasted and 1 can no salt added, just to add variety)
- 1⁄3 cup quinoa
- 1⁄3 cup basmati rice
- 9 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup powder, enough for 6 cups water (pareve)
- Dice onion and carrots, add to crockpot, mix with oil.
- Turn crockpot to High, add spices (to taste as always with spices), let cook for app. 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After veggies start to soften, add beans, tomatoes, quinoa, rice, water, and bullion. Set timer on crockpot (or simply leave it alone) for 6 hrs, then leave it alone.
- Ignore fantastic smell as long as possible; taste once after at least 4 hrs to check seasoning. Add seasonings or more soup powder to taste. It's done when the textures are right - it might be less than 6 hrs, but 6 is good for overnight or setting up at noon and having for dinner.