Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Great for COOKOUTS, family gatherings, potlucks or if you're just having hot dogs at home. The 3 variety of beans in addition to ground beef and bacon give a hearty dish. This recipe is not overly sweet, but very flavorful and filling. Easy preparation!
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans (Phillips)
- 1 (16 ounce) canmixed beans (pinto and great northern by Bush's)
- Fry bacon until crisp, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. Crumble and set aside.
- In a large saucepan saute chopped onion and remove. Brown ground beef and then add onions.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (undrained), ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard, worcestershire, salt and bacon drippings. Simmer for 1 minute and remove. Lightly stir in beans and crumbled bacon.
- Pour into a 3 quart baking dish. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
I made this on 7/28/08 as part of our dinner.And I'm pleased to be the first one to rate this very good recipe. Since there was just two of us,the recipe was cut in half. I made several mistakes in making this recipe and it still turned out very good. Instead of cooking the onions first, I accidently added them to the ground beef. Accidently used regular mustard instead of dried.And then I added the beans along with the sauce ingredients. And despite all the mess ups, the dish turned out just fine. The taste is something that makes you think of summertime picnics and cookouts.This will be made again, but next time the right way. Thanks for posting and, "Keep Smiling :)"