Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is done in about an hour and a half. Makes enough to freeze for later when time doesn’t allow to cook. The name comes from the ingredients. I finally found how much tomato sauce it takes to thicken using 1 small can of tomato paste.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 lb Italian sausage, sliced 1 inch
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- In a large stock pot brown burger and drain.
- Brown sliced sausage and drain.
- Sauté onions and bell pepper for a few minutes. Add garlic, seasonings and bay leaf. Sauté 1 more minute.
- Add all meat back to the pot.
- Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Stir to mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add the tomato paste and cook and stir a few more minutes.
I made it as posted and am rating it as made. This is a good basic sauce. However, it needed to cook a bit longer, and I'd definitely just break the sausage out of the casings and cook it with the ground beef....Makes for a sauce that blends better. But if you like chunks in your sauce, then leave the sliced sausage. I'd also add salt and pepper, and also add some red wine....can't make spaghetti sauce without it! As posted, this is a very enjoyable spaghetti sauce....even better the next day.
Thank you! I used fresh garden tomatoes and threw in a dash of sugar.