1/1 Photo of 2Bleu's Zucchini & Yellow Squash Casserole
1 hr 44 mins
1 hr 4 mins
This is the perfect recipe for when you have an abundance of squash and zucchini! This will satisfy the most finicky eaters who don't much care for squash/zucchini. Great for potlucks!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups yellow squash (cut in half, scooped of pulp, and diced1-inch cubes)
- 5 cups zucchini (cut in half, scooped of pulp, and diced 1-inch cubes)
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, cut in half and sliced
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and diced 1-inch squares
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 -3 cups crushed butter flavored crackers (Ritz)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F IN BATCHES, Saute the squashes in a little olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, over medium heat until it has broken down and slightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes, covered at first to release liquid, then stirring occasionally to brown.
- 2Place into large collander in the sink and gently pour the squashes into the collander, allowing to drain 10-15 minutes, Then placing them in a very large bowl. Continue with your next batch until you have cooked all the squashes. (my large skillet took 2 batches).
- 3To the same skillet (now empty), melt the butter and saute the onions, garlic, and bell peppers for about 5 minutes. (season with more salt and pepper if desired).
- 4Remove from heat, and immediately add the crushed red pepper flakes, sour cream, cheddar, and parmesan cheeses. Stirring to incorporate quickly.
- 5To a very large bowl, place all squash, then pour the onion/cheese mixture over top. Stir gently and thoroughly to incorporate the casserole.
- 6Pour mixture into a 9x13 (or larger) buttered casserole dish and top with crushed Ritz crackers. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving, allowing casserole to set up.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 2Bleu's Zucchini & Yellow Squash Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.8
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 56.8 mg
- Sodium 404.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 8.4 g