Recipe by 2Bleu
This is a wonderful condiment brushed on ribs or chicken or pork chops during grilling, or dress up a can of baked beans by adding 1/2 cup, and you can also serve it at the table in a squeeze bottle at room temperature. This is our own wet sauce and is great used with Smoky Sweet Spareribs With Sauce and Beans. This sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months which means you can make it in the spring and use it all summer long. Great for gift baskets too! Makes 1/2 gallon (64 oz).
Top Review by loof
Great BBQ sauce! Tangy, not too sweet, just the right amount of spice. I made just as directed except that I didn't blend it after cooling. Used on baby back ribs and really loved it - thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped fine (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can root beer
- 1 1⁄4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (recommended Got the 2bleu's Hot Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and simmer about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and stir to blend. Reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking, uncovered, for 2 hours or until reduced by half or to desired consistency.
- Using an emulsifier (or let cool slightly and use a blender), blend to a smooth consistency.