Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a wonderful condiment brushed on ribs or chicken or pork chops during grilling, or dress up a can of baked beans by adding 1/2 cup, and you can also serve it at the table in a squeeze bottle at room temperature. This is our own wet sauce and is great used with Smoky Sweet Spareribs With Sauce and Beans. This sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months which means you can make it in the spring and use it all summer long. Great for gift baskets too! Makes 1/2 gallon (64 oz).
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped fine (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) can root beer
- 1 1⁄4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (recommended Got the 2bleu's Hot Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and simmer about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and stir to blend. Reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking, uncovered, for 2 hours or until reduced by half or to desired consistency.
- Using an emulsifier (or let cool slightly and use a blender), blend to a smooth consistency.
Great BBQ sauce! Tangy, not too sweet, just the right amount of spice. I made just as directed except that I didn't blend it after cooling. Used on baby back ribs and really loved it - thanks for sharing the recipe!
This is a lovely all around sauce that has a multitude of possibilites for use. I chose for my first recipe to use it on pork chops. I started making the sauce the night b/f and let it simmer on the stove top for about 4+ hours. Then the next day I used it for a basting sauce on the pork chops I was baking in the oven. THis has fabulous all-around taste with just the right amount of sweet/tang. Next up is chicken wings in the crock pot with a splash of the sauce thrown over top. Thanks for sharing this one-of-a-kind recipe that is sure to become a main staple on the kitchen table. Made for PRMR~