Recipe by 2Bleu
Cute little mushrooms stuffed with taco seasoned ground beef, fresh herbs, and smoked swiss, and a tang of chile habanero sauce. Buddha says its the best stuffed mushrooms he has ever had, and it was created by me (Bird), who does not like mushrooms. It just goes to show that you can just whip something up from what you have in the kitchen. This recipe started with leftover taco meat. :) To use the best herbs for this recipe, try Buddha's Herb Mix for Mushrooms
Top Review by KateL
3 Stars, the flavors of the filling and topping were very nice, but our mushrooms were still raw using the oven temperature and times in the recipe. Comparable recipes call for 425 degrees F and 8-10 or 12-15 minutes. I used large mushrooms, which accommodated all the meat filling, so I would probably use 12-15 minutes @ 425 next time. I would put 12 drops of hot sauce (I used Tabasco) in the cooked taco meat and toss to mix before stuffing mushroom. Used Applewood-smoked swiss cheese sliced ultra-thin by the deli, then tore each sandwich-sized slice in half and folded that in half to top a mushroom; the cheese flavor was a wonderful change of pace. Made for Please Review My Recipe.
- 12 white button mushrooms (stems removed)
- 1⁄2 cup ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 12 dashes hot sauce (we use Chili Habanero from El Yucateco)
- olive oil, for drizzle
- 6 slices smoked swiss cheese, ultra thin slices (Dutch Garden)
- 1 teaspoon herbs (suggested Buddha's Herb Mix for Mushrooms)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place mushroom caps upside down in mini-muffin tin, one in each cup.
- Mix ground beef with taco seasoning mix and cook till done. Drain. (or use leftover). Place small amount of meat mixture into each mushroom cup.
- Drop one tiny drop of hot sauce onto each mushroom. Sprinkle a bit of herbs onto each mushroom. Drizzle each mushroom lightly with a drop or two of olive oil.
- Top each mushroom with smoked swiss, tearing the slices in half if necessary. Bake for 6-8 min in center of oven.
- Turn oven to broil, and cook additional 2-3 minutes.