This is a nice healthy low calorie 'big' bar. Perfect for part of breakfast or an afternoon snack. You can rough chop the nuts in a food processor (or place into a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush) to make things go faster.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal (unsweetened rice krispies, or cocoa krispies)
- 1 cup dried fruit, chopped fine (Sunmaid fruit bits)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts (or sunflower seeds)
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup mini chocolate chip (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (or cinnamon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine oats, cereal, fruit, and nuts (and chocolate chips if using). Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan heat the remaining ingredients just until warm, stirring well to combine (Do not boil). Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry mixture. Mix well to incorporate while syrup is still warm.
- Pour mixture into a 7x11 pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Pack the mixture down firmly using Plastic wrap with your hand over top. Press down firmly to mold. Keep covered with plastic wrap and cool completely (about 4 hours).
- Cut into 12 bars. Wrap individually and store in fridge up to two weeks.