Top Review by ibwhooped
I really, really wanted to rave about this recipe but I found it fairly bland. I brought one serving to a party and it wasn't in anyway a hit. I did not deviate from the recipe. I couldn't help but think that a little white wine for the lighter colored mushrooms or balsamic vinegar for the darker mushrooms would've really pushed the recipe to the next level. Good basic recipe to build upon. Thanks for posting!
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread, sliced thin and toasted (you can use a crusty French bread or a 6 oz bag of New Yorker Bagel Chips works nice also)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 shallots, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red bell peppers, diced small
- 4 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced small and thin (assorted)
- 1 tablespoon herbs (suggested Buddha's Herb Mix for Mushrooms)
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded (use the best quality)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place parchment paper onto a cookie sheet (or two). Lay out the toasted bread evenly onto the cookie sheet(s). Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook garlic and shallots in hot oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add red peppers, saute 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in assorted herbs.
- Place a small amount of the mushroom mixture on top of each bread slice. (about 1 tsp each). Sprinkle some chives over the mushrooms. Sprinkle the shredded swiss over top of the chives.
- Broil on low setting 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.