Recipe by 2Bleu
This is our version of Chudleigh's Apple Blossoms. Nothing beats theirs, but this is a good 2nd choice if you can't get them. Freezes well for OAMC so feel free to double the recipe and make some for another day. :)
Top Review by Sharon123
I used fuji apples and this turned out delicious! I thought it was best warm out of the oven and would be great with vanilla ice cream. I'm glad I gave it a try! Made for the PRMR game.
- 4 apples, peeled, cored, and cubed small (northern spy or Granny Smith)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- water, to mix
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water (to make an egg wash)
- 8 teaspoons rolled oats
- 8 teaspoons coarse sugar (or sugar in the raw)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- FILLING: mix all filling ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- CARAMEL: Heat caramel ingredients over medium heat; Bring to boil, stirring constantly; Let boil for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- DOUGH: Mix the flour and oil together in a bowl, and mix in just sufficient cold water to make a firm (but not sticky) dough. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Then roll out each into a 5-6" disc.
- ASSEMBLY: Place 1/8th of apple filling onto center of each dough round. Fold up edges of dough up towards the center, making a cup around the filling (you could use a jumbo muffin tin for this too). Brush with eggwash.
- To each blossom, sprinkle 1 tsp of rolled oats followed by a drizzle of caramel topping into tops of apple filling. Follow with a light sprinkle all over with sugar in the raw.
- Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Cool on wire rack.