Recipe by LuuvBunny
This comes from a great book called A Passion For Baking by Marcy Goldman.She says the name came from how many people downloaded the recipe from the web site in one hour.I can see why,these are amazing! I didn't have buttermilk,I used 1 1/4 cup milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice.Don't let the number of steps turn you away from the recipe,you'll regret it! :) Prep time doesn't include rise times.
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons rapid rise yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened, cut into small chunks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 -6 cups all purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Generously spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray and place on a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl,hand whisk water and yeast together and let stand 2 to 3 minutes to dissolve yeast.
- Briskly whisk in buttermilk,softened butter,sugar,salt,and most of flour.
- Knead with dough hook on lowest speed about 8 minutes,adding more flour as necessary to form a soft,smooth,elastic dough.
- Remove dough hook and spray dough with cooking spray.
- Cover entire mixer and bowl with a large clear plastic bag.
- Let rise until almost doubled,45-60 minutes.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and gently deflate.
- Divide dough into 12 portions.
- Cut each portion into 3 chunks or balls and dip into melted butter.
- Place 3 chunks into each well of muffin pan.
- Drizzle any leftover butter over rolls.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in bulk,30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F and bake 10 minutes.
- Then reduce temperature to 350F and bake until lightly browned,another 15-20 minutes.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes and then turn out to serve or cool completely.