1/1 Photo of 250 of Nearly Everything Chocolate Cake
1 hr 10 mins
This is great for people who are on a non-wheat diet. You can also substitute ground hazelnuts for the almonds if you wish. I think this recipe was in a Cuisine New Zealand recipe book. The cake will be quite fudgy and not dry in the middle. It will also sink a little as it cools so don't worry if this happens!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2Grease the base an 8-9inch diameter springform cake tin, and line with greaseproof or baking paper.
- 3Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler. Stir every so often and set aside to cool when there are no lumps.
- 4Separate the eggs into two different bowls (put the yolks into a larger bowl).
- 5Beat the yolks, then add the caster sugar. Beat until pale, thick and creamy.
- 6Add the almonds, and mix to combine well (ensure that there are no lumps of ground almonds).
- 7Add the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined.
- 8Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 9Gently fold into the chocolate almond mixture until well combined.
- 10Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 40-50 minutes. Make sure the top does not burn, when a skewer is inserted there will still be some mixture attached to it, but it will be soft as opposed to uncooked (sorry, this bit is hard to explain).
- 11Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- 12When cool, remove from the tin. You will need to run a knife around the edges. Put on a plate after having removed the baking paper on the base.
- 13Melt the remaining chocolate until there are no lumps (normally 2 or 3 squares go missing along the way!), and pour in stages over the cake until the chocolate is evenly spread down the sides and over the top.
- 14This is very rich but is nice served with orange sorbet to cut through the richness.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 250 of Nearly Everything Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.1
- Calories from Fat 406
- Total Fat 45.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 185.7 mg
- Sodium 173.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
bittersweet dark chocolate