Recipe by Steve_G
A unique baking method preserves crispness of the crust and yields a slightly spicy, not too sweet pumpkin pie. The name came shortly after someone purchased three of them from me for $75 :-)
Top Review by canarygirl
What a delicious pie! I roasted the pumpkin as stated, but just scooped it out with a spoon (easier that way). The prep was a little involved, but WAY worth it! The texture of this pie is a little softer than the pumpkin pie I am used to, it's lighter, almost like a torte. I served it with fresh sweetened whipped cream. YUM! The spice amounts are absolutely perfect! I wouldn't change a thing! I will be making this for the holidays this year-Thanks for a great recipe, Steve!
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked, in pan with edge prepared for an open top pie
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (plain)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust an oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare pie crust for blind baking (prick bottom with a fork, line crust with parchment and fill with dried rice or beans). Bake crust for 15 minutes.
- (Have all your ingredients measured out and start your filling when the crust goes into the oven). Remove parchment from crust, prick any bubbles with a sharp fork and bake shell for 8 to 10 minutes longer, or until bottom just begins to color.
- Remove crust from oven and brush lightly with egg white while still hot.
- Process pumpkin, sugar, spices and salt ingredients in a food processor fitted with steel blade for 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to a 3-quart heavy saucepan.
- Bring it to a sputtering simmer over medium-high heat.
- Cook pumpkin, stirring constantly, until thick and shiny, about 5 minutes.
- As soon as pie shell comes out of oven, whisk heavy cream and milk into pumpkin and bring to a bare simmer.
- Process eggs in food processor until whites and yolks are mixed, about 5 seconds.
- Gradually pour hot pumpkin mixture through feed tube while still running.
- Process 30 seconds.
- Pour warm filling into hot pie shell.
- Put a crust shield on completed pie and bake about 25 minutes.
- Filling will be dry-looking and lightly cracked around the edge.
- The center will wiggle when pie is gently shaken.
- Cool on a wire rack to a warm room temperature.
- Serve with slightly sweetened whipped cream.