1/3 Photos of $25 Pumpkin Pie
1 hr 20 mins
A unique baking method preserves crispness of the crust and yields a slightly spicy, not too sweet pumpkin pie. The name came shortly after someone purchased three of them from me for $75 :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, unbaked, in pan with edge prepared for an open top pie
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (plain)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1Adjust an oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 400°F.
- 2Prepare pie crust for blind baking (prick bottom with a fork, line crust with parchment and fill with dried rice or beans). Bake crust for 15 minutes.
- 3(Have all your ingredients measured out and start your filling when the crust goes into the oven). Remove parchment from crust, prick any bubbles with a sharp fork and bake shell for 8 to 10 minutes longer, or until bottom just begins to color.
- 4Remove crust from oven and brush lightly with egg white while still hot.
- 5Process pumpkin, spices and salt ingredients in a food processor fitted with steel blade for 1 minute.
- 6Transfer mixture to a 3-quart heavy saucepan.
- 7Bring it to a sputtering simmer over medium-high heat.
- 8Cook pumpkin, stirring constantly, until thick and shiny, about 5 minutes.
- 9As soon as pie shell comes out of oven, whisk heavy cream and milk into pumpkin and bring to a bare simmer.
- 10Process eggs in food processor until whites and yolks are mixed, about 5 seconds.
- 11Gradually pour hot pumpkin mixture through feed tube while still running.
- 12Process 30 seconds.
- 13Pour warm filling into hot pie shell.
- 14Put a crust shield on completed pie and bake about 25 minutes.
- 15Filling will be dry-looking and lightly cracked around the edge.
- 16The center will wiggle when pie is gently shaken.
- 17Cool on a wire rack to a warm room temperature.
- 18Serve with slightly sweetened whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for $25 Pumpkin Pie
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.0
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 123.0 mg
- Sodium 330.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 27.3 g
- Protein 6.4 g