Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
Carrot cake may be indulgent, but it’s okay to indulge yourself once in a while. This recipe actually came from a website (I’ve forgotten which). I reduced the amount of oil in the recipe.
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 78.07 ml orange juice
- 236.59 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 236.59 ml white flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml clove
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 236.59 ml maple syrup, plus
- 29.58 ml maple syrup
- 118.29 ml soymilk or 118.29 ml rice milk
- 9.85 ml apple cider vinegar
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 2.46 ml orange extract
- 473.18 ml carrots, peeled & grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare two 8-inch round cake pans or line cup cake tins with paper liner. If using cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment paper and grease and flour the sides (or use a baking spray). For cupcakes, a quick shot of pan spray inside the liners will help avoid sticking.
- Soak the raisins in the orange juice for about 10 minutes. Drain the raisins and reserve the orange juice. If you are in a hurry, you can put them in the microwave for 3 minutes or so to encourage rehydration.
- Sift the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In another larger mixing bowl measure out the oil, maple syrup, soymilk, vinegar, vanilla and orange extracts, plus the orange juice from soaking the raisins.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and whisk until blended. Fold in the carrots and raisins.
- Pour into cake or cupcake tins and bake for 30-35 minutes (cakes) or 20 minutes (cupcakes).
- Cool for 10 minutes and remove from tins.
This was actually very good. It would be a little bit on the dry side, but we added almost 3 cups of grated carrot instead of 2 and it was much more moist.
You have to use good quality maple syrup...REAL maple syrup. Aunt Jemima ain't gonna cut it. We also skipped the soy/rice milk and used skim instead.
Prawn toothpaste would be interesting...but if you make ANYTHING that ends up tasting like that perhaps you should skip recipes altogether and buy a box mix....?
This was awful, they didn't raise properly and tasted like prawn toothpaste please for the love of god don't make this!