1/1 Photo of 24 Karat Cake
1 hr 20 mins
This recipe is from "FiftyFive Restaurant Group - Their Chefs and Recipes" cookbook back in the 80's - a small chain of casual upscale eateries in and around Columbus, Ohio. Most the the ten locations have now closed, unfortunately. This cake is rich, decadent, sure to impress, and well worth the inch it's going to add to the waistline!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups fresh carrots, grated
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup canned crushed pineapple
Pecan Caramel Filling
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, diced and softened
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1Prepare Cake:.
- 2Place oil in mixing bowl of electric mixer. Mix on low speed, adding sugar.
- 3Mix all dry ingredients together.
- 4Add eggs to oil and sugar mixture; mix.
- 5Add dry ingredients and mix.
- 6Add the carrots, pecans, raisins and crushed pineapple. Fold together.
- 7Coat three 10 x 2 inch round cake pans with vegalene spray. Press a circle of parchment paper into the bottom of each pan and spray again to coat with vegalene. Coat the pans with flour and remove the excess.
- 8Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans.
- 9Bake at 300°F for 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in center of cake comes away clean.
- 10Remove from oven and allow to cool 20 to 30 minutes. Invert the cake pan onto a parchment paper-lined sheetpan. Refrigerate until cold before assembly.
- 11Prepare Filling:.
- 12Place sugar, flour and salt in saucepan. Mix until well combined.
- 13Gradually stir heavy cream into dry ingredients. Add butter and stir.
- 14Place saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a simmer.
- 15Simmer, stirring constantly for 20-30 minutes or until the mixture is light golden brown. Cool to room temperature and then stir in nuts and vanilla.
- 16Refrigerate until needed.
- 17Prepare Frosting:.
- 18Place butter and cream cheese into the bowl of electric mixer. Mix at medium high speed until mixture is very light and fluffy.
- 19Gradually add sugar and heat on high speed until light, fluffy and lump-free. Fold in vanilla.
- 20Hold at room temperature - do not refrigerate.
- 21Assemble your creation:.
- 22Place a cake layer onto a 12" plate and top with half of the Pecan Caramel Filling, spreading evenly to the edges.
- 23Top with second layer and then remaining Pecan Caramel Filling. Spread evenly to the edges.
- 24Top with the third layer. Use a spatula to remove any excess filling from around the edges.
- 25Frost the cake with Cream Cheese Frosting about 1/4 inch all over. Sprinkle top of cake with additional pecan pieces, if desired.
- 26Refrigerate at least 2 hours before slicing.
- 27Remove the cake from the refrigerator. Heat a knife with hot water and cut the cake into 8 or 10 portions. Heat the knife between each cut for a neat, precise cut.
- 28Place onto plates and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 24 Karat Cake
Serving Size: 1 (383 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1844.7
- Calories from Fat 1007
- Total Fat 111.9 g
- Saturated Fat 41.1 g
- Cholesterol 256.5 mg
- Sodium 950.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 206.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 160.6 g
- Protein 14.1 g