Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I found several 24 Hour Salad recipes, but none are exactly like the one I make. I'm posting it here for safekeeping...it's a family favorite. It has just the right amount of tangy, sweet, and savory. Enjoy!
- 1 large head of lettuce (rinse, dry well, and tear into bite size pieces)
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb cooked bacon, diced
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip style dressing)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- frozen peas
- Layer the first four ingredients in the order listed above, starting with lettuce on bottom.
- Mix sugar, mayo, cheese, and salt/pepper.
- Spoon mayo mixture on top of layered ingredients.
- Refrigerate and then toss AFTER 24 hours.
- I like to add frozen peas for color. *Prep time is mostly cutting veggies and cooking bacon, cooking time is refrigeration time.*.
We've been making this same salad in my family for as long as I can remember!!! I love it!!! I would cut the mayo back to only one cup though. My recipe for the dressing calls for 1 cup mayo (and you're right no Miracle Whip), 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. The only other difference is we use a white or yellow onion instead of red and NO peas, but otherwise it's the same!!!