Recipe by Carol in Oregon 2
This is a wonderful salad, especially during the holidays. Of course, you may add additional fruits, but only ones that won't turn dark during the refrigeration time.
- 1 (20 1/2 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained,reserving 2 tablespoons of the syrup
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beatem
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 dash salt
- 1 (16 ounce) canpitted light sweet cherries, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, well drained
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, cut in half and well blotted
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup whipping cream
- toasted coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the egg yolks, reserved syrup, sugar, vinegar, margarine and dash of salt in the top of a double boiler.
- Place over hot, not boiling, water; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly and barely coats a spoon (about 12 minutes).
- COOL to room temperature.
- Combine pineapple tidbits, sweet cherries, mandarin orange segments, maraschino cherries and miniature marshmallows in large bowl.
- Pour cooked mixture over fruit mixture and mix gently.
- Whip the whipping cream to firm peaks and fold into fruit mixture.
- Turn into serving bowl, top with toasted coconut, cover and chill 24 hours.