Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Easy, cheesy casserole.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 10 slices white bread
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch casserole. Spread softened butter over 1 side of each slice of read. Cut the bread into 1 inch slices. Scatter half of the bread evenly in the prepared dish, sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat with remaining bread and cheese.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until well combined; whick in milk, onion pepper, mustard and hot sauce. Pour over bread mixture. Press down bread to submerge.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
- Set oven rack to middle of oven, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap casserole and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 1 hour.