Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My mom always made this for brunches or other gatherings...and it's always a hit!
- 1 loaf jewish egg bread, crust removed (can also use Sheepherders, Sourdough, or any other hard bread)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3⁄4 lb longhorn cheese, grated
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Chunk the bread and place in a well greased casserole dish. Pour melted butter over the bread.
- Sprinkle the cheeses over top, creamcheese first.
- Beat the remaining ingredients together and pour over bread.
- Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Bake, covered, at 325 for 60-75 minutes. Uncover for the last 10 minutes.
- Variations: Sprinkle cooked, crumbled bacon or sausage on top before pouring the egg mixture. Can also add favorite veggies.
It was the best!!!
This is the first 24 hour omelet I've ever had and I was in love at first bite! It is so simple and tasty and my kids LOVE it. You can definitely use it as a jumping off point and add more complicated ingredients, but sometimes simple is best!
Great! My family loved it. I added 1/2 pound hot sausage. Thanks for sharing.