Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are the base for one of our favorite portable sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast with warm water and add the sugar. Let this sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and knead for 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rise for about 45 minutes.
- Punch down and let rest for 5 minutes. Divide into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a round shape about 9 inches around. Fold edges into the center and pinch into the center.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with a pan of hot water in the floor of the oven.
- Place on a baking sheet and let rise for 1 hour then bake for 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and wrap in a towel for a few minutes to steam.
I know these were meant to be rolls but I used the dough to make focaccia. It turned out nice and crispy on the edges and soft on the inside.