Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A fellow Emergency Room Nurse gave me this recipe, it has become a staple. It's quick and easy (something I know I need for a recipe)
- 1 diced onion
- 1 tablespoon instant minced garlic or 3 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ham or 1⁄2 lb sausage or 1⁄2 lb kielbasa, diced
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning or 1 tablespoon herbes de provence or 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans white beans
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb kale
- 1⁄8 cup gruyere cheese (optional)
- 1 piece French bread (optional)
- In large sauce pot, combine onion, garlic, meat, spices. Use any spices you like, herbs de provence, old bay, italian seasoning -- etc.)
- Heat until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, white beans, and chicken broth. (any white beans can be used, I use cannellini).
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in as much kale as you wish, stir to ensure all kale is submersed into soup.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with shredded guyere cheese on top or with fresh french bread.