Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
On our 2nd wedding anniversary 2 yrs ago, DH took me to a restaurant 1 hr outside of Reykjavik that specialized in lobster & a lovely view of the sunset over the Atlantic Ocean. We ate just 2 things - their lobster bisque & a pan filled w/sml lobster tails steamed in herbed garlic butter. BUT they served both w/assorted pesto & tapenade spreads to spread on baguette slices that were TDF wonderful. Since then I have been fascinated w/that genre & then I found these recipes in the *Almost Vegetarian* cookbook of the Australian Womens Weekly cookbook series. Since I now have lobster in my freezer, I wanted to preserve these recipes for spec occasions here at home. *Enjoy* !
TOMATO CAPER TAPENADE
- 3⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato (drained & chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup capers (drained)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind (grated)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 5 ounces tofu (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 1⁄2 medium carrot (grated)
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill (chopped)
- FOR TOMATO CAPER TAPENADE: Process all ingredients till finely minced. Top w/a few extra capers as desired.
- FOR TOFU PATE: Process half the seeds till finely ground. Add tofu, oil + wheatgerm & process till combined. Stir in remaining seeds, carrot + dill.
- Serve w/carrot & celery sticks, snow peas & thin slices of baguette bread.
- NOTE: Ea vegetarian dip mixture makes 1 cup or 8 1 tbsp servings & can be prepared 1 dy ahead of plan to serve.
Who needs lobster when this is so good! I made the tomato caper tapenade and it was perfect. The lemon zest gives it a nice fresh flavor. Thanks Twiss!