Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe was published in a Southern Living magazine and my sister and I love it. YOU MUST USE A KITCHEN AID MIXER OR SIMILAR STAND MIXER! You cannot use a hand mixer or rotary bowl mixer. Easy and Yummy. You can glaze with thinned apricot preserves for a little more decadence. I have used the recipe for petit fours baked in a 10 x 15 pan with a poured/dipped fondant. This recipe always brings compliments. Prep time includes cooling.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Farenheit.
- Layer in mixer in order given.
- Beat at low 1 minute.
- Scrape sides.
- Beat at medium 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until it tests done in the middle.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
Delicious, delicious, delicious!! My DH â€” not a baker â€” wanted this cake after seeing it in the May 2010 Southern Living. He decided to make it himself, and it is surprisingly divine. Homey, dense, buttery, with a slightly crunchy exterior. We topped with a bit of powdered sugar and paired the slices with fresh, sliced strawberries. Heavenly.
This is incredibly easy to make and tastes delicious! Dianne from VA