Recipe by Mandy Welch
Take advantage of the summer bounty with this creamy, delicious soup. It's perfect as an appetizer or on it's own as a light lunch. The 2 step process is simple: first you poach the zucchini and then you make the creamy soup base. Combine the 2 and your soup is ready. This soup also freezes well.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onions
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups warm milk
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a soup pot and boil with lid on for 15 minutes.
- While the zucchini is poaching, combine butter and onion in another saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions until tender but not brown.
- Add flour to the onions and cook 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Add warm milk and stir over medium-high heat until bubbly and thick.
- After the zucchini is poached, use an immersion blender off-heat to puree the mixture, alternately, you can carefully transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and puree it.
- Add the pureed zucchini mixture to the soup base mixture and stir over medium heat until thickened. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with fresh grated parmesan and garlic toast.