Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love stuffed cabbage rolls but don't have the time or patience to stuff them. I usually make a casserole version in the oven but after fooling around with a few recipes I had on hand, I found this way much quicker and just as tasty. Makes a great busy weeknight dinner. I like to serve this with some warm bread or dinner rolls. I also like to make the rice with a recipe posted by Jan S, #53546 Perfect rice every time we cook it!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups long grain rice, cooked
- In one pot, cook rice; you will want to end up with 2 cups of cooked rice.
- In the second pot, a medium dutch oven, brown ground beef, onion and garlic; drain if needed and return to pot.
- Add your soup and sauce, 1/2 cup water, cabbage, salt and pepper to taste; stir well.
- Cook over medium heat, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until cabbage is soft.
- Stir occasionally and add remainder 1/4 cup of water while cooking, if sauce gets too thick.
- Divide rice onto 4 plates; top with the beefy tomato cabbage mix.
My family liked this just fine but felt that it was not really comparable to the original and it still took much longer than 20 minutes to soften the cabbage. I agree with Debilyn_ks that it seemed like it was missing something. I even added a little butter and a dash of vinegar like my original rolled recipe. I think it was the tomato sauce/water that diluted the taste down.
I also love stuffed cabbage and this was so quick and easy to make! I used ground round, pre-shredded cabbage and tomato sauce with garlic. Added some additional lemon pepper, celery seed, and red pepper flakes as it needed just a bit more flavor for us. Will make this again!
It was quick and easy, but we didn't care for it. I did add 1 tb each of brown sugar and lemon juice. But it seemed to be missing something.