Recipe by NJstixx
This recipe is the result of combining my Mother and Mother-in-law's pot roast recipes. The cinnamon adds a richness and unique flavor. Delicious and quite easy to make from ingredients readily available in your kitchen.
- 4 lbs rump roast (trimmed)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 4 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 medium potatoes
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 large carrots
- 1 teaspoon Gravy Master
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup dark beer
- fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme) or dried herbs (rosemary, thyme)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim meat and dredge in flour.
- Add meat to pot with vegetable oil and brown on all sides.
- Add soup mix to 4 cups of water and add to pot.
- Add bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle half the cinnamon on top of the exposed meat.
- Add half a cup of dark beer or wine, and the tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil and then cook covered on low for 1 and a half hours.
- Turn meat over and sprinkle the top with the remaining cinnamon.
- Cook another half hour.
- Add vegetables and herbs and cook covered for another hour or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables.
- Reserve the "soup" or gravy and serve.