Recipe by Ethan UK
I needed a delicious sugary fix and fast and as I'm suffering a bit a of a cold/flu virus as I type this, and much to my extreme irritation I can hardly taste anything :( I guess my body needs extra energy to fight off the infection - well this will certainly help boost the energy and this really simple and extremely sweet Strawberry-banana instant dessert certainly tastes great ! I wanted as few calories and fat as I could persuade my cravings to settle for - so obviously there are a few - but they're all made up of good stuff :) Very little fat and not so many calories that I'm being ridiculous.
- 1⁄2 banana (preferably very ripe)
- 0.333 (400 7/8 g) canlow-fat custard (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon strawberry jelly (jam)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons artificial sweetener (granulated, to taste) or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar (to taste)
- 1 dash cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the kettle on.
- Spoon custard into microwaveable bowl (or I guess you could use canned rice-pudding if you like it) and Microwave on full until it rises, (keep an eye on it though or you'll need to clean the microwave later :).
- When it's bubbling near the top of the bowl stop microwave and leave to stand whilst --
- Leaving peel on banana, chop it in half. (You might fancy the other half in a minute, but it will otherwise keep ok for a couple of days on the top shelf in the refrigerator -- ( -- although the skin will go black after a day or two - doesn't affect the middle bit at all though.).
- Peel the half banana & discard peel.
- Holding banana lengthways in your hand, slice it lengthways right thru. Then rotate it and slice lengthways again so it's quartered into long quarters. Supporting it in your hand and fingers chop it roughly at quarter inches intervals lengthways to end up with lots of hasty cut chunky segments.
- Disperse the banana bits across the top of the custard.
- Get a small pot or egg cup and spoon a generous teaspoon of your favourite strawberry jam/jelly into it.
- Pour on a little of the hot water from the kettle - just enough to make it runny enough to pour like a thick sauce across the top of the banana bits.
- Pour strawberry sauce across top of bananas and custard and put the bowl back into microwave for about 45 seconds so (probably a bit less with a microwave more powerful than my 18 year old machine :) You don't want to boil it, just hot.
- Take out and if it seems hot enough pour over a teaspoon or so of granulated sweetener (or sugar) - to taste. Sprinkle cinnamon across the top and serve.
- Not a lot to it but it's quick, sweet, very tasty and very enjoyable and it's a great way to use up bananas that are too soft and squishy. Plus you won't blow up like a balloon on the caloric load - unless you eat two dozen portions!
- It won't matter if the bananas are still very fresh as once heated they soften and sweeten a lot.