From American Heart Association Healthy Recipes booklet. A cake that smells like a pineapple upside down cake but without all the fat and calories. The sauce really adds a lot to the cake but is optional if you just want a low-key dessert.
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray a 13x9x2" baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Put cake mix in a large bowl and stir in undrained pineapple until well combined.
- Pour mixture into baking pan and smooth down the surface. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 30 minutes then run a thin knife around the edges of the cooled cake before slicing and removing from pan. Serve alone or with the following pineapple sauce (which I highly recommend).
- For Pineapple Sauce: While cake is cooling, in a small saucepan, gently stir together the sauce ingredients until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat and boil for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool slightly.
- Serve the warm sauce over the cake slices.
- Store leftover sauce in a container with a tight fitting lid. You can serve additional sauce either cold or reheat in the microwave till just warm.
Awesome cake (we didn't make the sauce- we might try that next time). Note to self- next time, use the LARGEST bowl I have to mix it because my "kind of large" bowl resulted in spillover. =D
I made this for a work potluck. I work with lot of health conscious people who do like desserts. I really think they are going to like this, It is so easy and tastes delicious. Made for PAC Spring 2011.
No fat, low calories and good looks...I mean, don't hate her because she taste that good. Jealousy can tear ya up from the inside out. ;-P Made for Potluck Tag.