Recipe by Danny Beason
I got this recipe from an old Georgia Boy that was transplanted in Tennessee, he is 72 and says he grew up on this sandwich.
Top Review by DEEP
I too am from NC. I grew up eating these sandwiches. You have posted the "PREMO" Southern delicacy! I have to make an admission here, and I wouldn't do it everywhere. I puposely buy white bread for this sandwich.....LOL. These sandwiches are just not at their most with the multi-grains I eat with everything else. I don't know why, other than nostagia, that this should even make a difference, but it does! So, during the summer I do keep a loaf of white bread around. OK, I don't think I can be totally condemned for that....HUH?
- 1 -2 large fresh picked vine ripened tomatoes
- 2 slices bread
- salt and pepper
- mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- In the peak of tomato season, chill 1 very large or 2 medium size tomatoes that have been vine-ripened and have plenty juice.
- Take 2- slices of bread and coat them with 1/4 inch good mayonnaise.
- Add layer of tomatoes cut 1/4 inch thick.
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Add another slice of tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste again.
- Add the other piece of bread on top of this.
- Roll up your sleeves and start eating over the kitchen sink while the juice runs down your elbows.