Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is amazing! I am vegetarian, but cook food like this for my family. They LOVE this kind of food. It is very easy, and everyone loves it!
- 3 cups ricotta cheese, drained through fine strainer 30 minutess
- 1 lb penne, rigata or 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb similar pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb sweet bulk Italian sausage or 1⁄2 lb sausage links, with casing removed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 4 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped, about 2 tb (or one-half amount of dried rubbed sage)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions for al dente.
- Heat a large sauté pan over med-high; add oil, then pancetta and sausage.
- Brown, breaking up sausage as it cooks, around 4 minutes.
- Remove all except 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil from pan; add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Vigorously stir the ricotta until smooth; add to pan with sage, salt and pepper.
- Stir until cheese combines with the sausage. If you like, add pepper flakes.
- Drain pasta reserving about 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Add pasta to sauce with as much liquid needed to loosen sauce.
- Add Romano cheese and toss well for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and serve right away.
- You may use more Romano if desired.