Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love french rolls and love coming up with new ways to enjoy them. This would make a great snack, lunch or even a dinner with a side salad. I had just included 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms, because I thought people could use their sauteed mushroom recipe of choice that added up to that amount. I've included what I used... not really a recipe.. just really basic, but delicious.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 1 French roll, halved
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 118.29 ml shredded mozzarella cheese
- 118.29 ml sauteed mushroom
- 2 slice American cheese (if using American, cut slices into small squares) or 118.29 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Directions for sauteed mushrooms:.
- Saute the mushrooms and salt/pepper in the olive oil until the mushrooms are slightly brown.
- Directions for toast:.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Each split roll gets half of the butter and garlic amount. Spread each amount of butter over face of roll, then the garlic.
- Divide the mozz. cheese in equal parts and spread out over bread.
- Spread sauteed mushrooms over mozz. cheese.
- Lay/spread American or cheddar cheese over mushrooms.
- Put on sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes (ovens vary).
I prepared this for dinner tonight as a side for grilled steak, and it paired very nicely. I made them with American cheese covering half and Asiago cheese covering the other half. With the Asiago (and I presume cheddar) these rate 5 stars for sure and are wonderful. (The American cheese 1/2 would knock down to a 4 star for my liking). Very yummy and a nice side in replacement of a potato or rice for beef! Thanks for posting!(Made for PAC 2008)
Hi VickyJ, I look forward to seeing your pictures and when I saw this, I had to have it, like right away! I took it down to our chef, Jesus, who told me he had to wait to make it another day and believe it or not - I started to cry! Haven't been well and it is riding rough shod over me. So, today at about noon, Jesus called me down to the kitchen and there he had the most beautiful & luscious Mushroom Toast waiting for me to inhale it! It was awesome like I was sure it would be - but it was even better. The French roll tasted crunchy with the garlicy(he made a garlic butter) taste, the sauteed mushrooms(which we used with a roast) were delish and plentiful and the combination of mozzarella with the cheddar, just took it over the top! Thank you VickyJ for feeding my addiction, Diane :=) Did I sound too enthusiastic??