Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
The possibilities for this recipe are endless, depending on what kind of beans you like and carnivorous types checking out this recipe who want to use traditional refried beans, or vegetarian and/or fat-free refried beans. I was looking at various vegetarian chili recipes, and was always disappointed with all the non-bean "chunks" I kept picking up with the fork, or thought these chilis were too sweet. Yes, I love veggies but was always grossed out by tomato chunks (in spite of loving tomato sauces and my special tomato soup.) If you want to make this vegi-chili "con corn", a can of 15-oz La Fe corn is the BEST for this recipe, but I wanted to keep the posting simple so I left it out. 1-2 tbsp garlic powder works if you don't have chopped garlic at hand. All kinds of beer suffice for this recipe but I found that Coors Light and Corona really worked the best. All kinds of refried beans can be used-- I like using a can of vegetarian refried pinto beans with chipotles for this recipe, it's what makes it 4-alarm!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can pink beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (16 ounce) canvegetarian refried pinto beans (preferably with chiles or chipotles)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Rinse the two cans of beans and put them aside.
- In a large pot, slowly heat the olive oil and beer.
- When the beer starts bubbling, add the garlic and onion powder and mix for a few minutes.
- Add the rinsed beans and stir well to absorb all the garlic.
- Add the tomato paste and meld it well with the beans.
- Add cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Meld the spices with the mixture.
- Stir in the refried beans to thicken the chili to a nice pasty consistency devoid of icky tomato chunks. Be sure to really stir thoroughly.
- Reduce to low heat and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.