Recipe by hels
This is a slightly reworked version of my Real Pasta Sauce Real pasta sauce to allow it to fit in with the 2 fruit and 5 veg challenge going on in the Vegetarian/Vegan forum (Dec 05/Jan06) As far as I'm aware, my fruits are the tomatoes and pepper and my veg are the onion, mushrooms, courgette, garlic and the very recent addition of sweetcorn :o)
Top Review by McDebs
I bought very cheap courgettes on their sell by date and searched for a recipe. This was perfect as I also had all the other ingredients in the kitchen. I missed out the garlic as I had meetings at work in the morning! Added Italian seasoning for the dried herbs and a tin of chopped tomatoes. Very nice! Low in fat - only used one tablespoon of olive oil and did the whole thing in my electric wok. This will become a favourite for sure!
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper (bell pepper or capsicum or whatever you want to call it! I think yellow looks pretty here, but you c)
- 6 -8 medium mushrooms
- 1 courgette (zucchini?)
- 150 g sweetcorn (a small can if using canned)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- olive oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onion, pepper, courgette and mushrooms and fry over a medium heat in a saucepan until the pepper is soft.
- Add the tomato, sweetcorn, herbs and paprika to the saucepan and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check the taste and add salt, pepper and/or more paprika if necessary.
- Leave to simmer for another 15-20 mins (continue stirring accasionally)- this is the perfect point to start cooking the pasta!
- Add garlic about 10 mins before serving - if it gets cooked for any longer it will lose its taste.
- serve with pasta. Cheese melted over the top is nice if you eat cheese.