Recipe by Babybuttons
This is my great grandmother's recipe and it is so easy. All you have to remember is the number 2 with a few exceptions. Hope you enjoy this as much as we do! A tip: To give your soup a nice rich flavor, add 4 cans of beef broth and let it cook down with the water as well.
- 2 lbs stew beef chunks
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups carrots
- 2 cups onions
- 2 cups celery
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen lima beans (baby or regular)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 (2 lb) package marrow, bones
- 1⁄4 cup barley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot brown beef. Once browned add 2 cans of broth and bring to boil.
- Add raw veggies (onions, celery, carrots, and cabbage) and bring to boil again.
- Add frozen ingredients.
- Add marrow bones and crushed tomatoes.
- Add remainder of broth and water to cover till top.
- The last thing to add is the bouquet garni. (Hint: Tie the bouquet garni in cheese cloth, it makes it a lot easier to find when soup is done. Tie bundle to the side handle of pot).
- Simmer for approximately 4 hours or until you can just about taste the pepper from the bouquet garni.