1 hr 21 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This 1981 recipe comes from our wonderful years living in Hawaii. I will never forget the look on our friends faces when they bit into my homemade Malassadas. This day and age it is not on my every day diet! But oh, the memories...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix yeast and sugar and water.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Sift flour, salt and sugar together.
- 4Add nutmeg.
- 5Add reserved yeast mixture, eggs, melted butter and vanilla.
- 6Using a circular motion, stir by hand, adding warm milk gradually.
- 7On a lightly floured surface, knead bread well.
- 8Place dough in a bowl in a warm area free from drafts and cover.
- 9Let rise 1 hour or until dough doubles in volume.
- 10Pour about 2" of vegetable oil into a deep skillet or electric deep fryer.
- 11Heat oil to 375 F.
- 12When oil is hot, drop several tablespoonfuls of dough into oil.
- 13Turn frequently until malassadas are golden brown.
- 14Be careful not to put too many malassadas in at one time.
- 15Remove each malassada as they are cooked and drain on paper towels.
- 16Roll in granulated sugar while still hot.
- 17Repeat with rest of dough.
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 1st Place 1980 Malassadas
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 705.7
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 185.3 mg
- Sodium 358.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 118.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 19.2 g
- Protein 21.0 g