Recipe by Salazar
I was searching for a low carb bread recipe that doesn't require a bread machine and found this on http://www.lowcarbluxury.com. This is the original version, but I made some changes for mine (ground flax meal for wheat germ, 1/2 C whole wheat flour for 1/2 C vital wheat gluten flour for a less spongy texture, added some seeds), with good result.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (100 F)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (which will be consumed by the yeast)
- 3 1⁄2 cups vital wheat gluten flour
- 1⁄2 cup soy flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure water and sugar into mixing bowl. Add yeast and stir to dissolve.
- Combine gluten, soy flour, oat flour, wheat germ, Splenda and salt. Add dry ingredients to yeast mixture and beat until smooth.
- Turn dough onto floured board and knead thoroughly for 12-15 minutes. Shape into 2 loaves.
- Place in buttered bread pans. Cover with clean dish towel or parchment paper; set in warm, draft-free place, and allow dough to rise until doubled (just 1 rising — do not 'punch down'!) - about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 45 minutes. Remove from pans and cool.