Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Updated just a little
- 6 -8 ounces turkey ham, coarsely chopped (or cut into ribbons if already thinly sliced)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (or as needed)
- 4 slices fresh pineapple (may need to sprinkle with a little sugar or can substitute 5 slices canned sliced pineapple in its o)
- 8 slices whole wheat bread (thinly sliced) or 8 slices wheatberry bread (thinly sliced)
- 12 -15 slices bread and butter pickles
- 1⁄2 onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces taleggio, rind cut off and thinly sliced (or sharp cheddar)
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing the bread
- In a small bowl, mix together the turkey ham and mayonnaise; set aside.
- Dice or coarsely chop the pineapple; set inside another bowl; **if using fresh, toss it with sugar to taste.
- Lay out the bread slices; on 4 slices, spread the pineapple.
- On the other 4 slices, first place some of the pickles, then the turkey ham salad mixture, then some onion, and the Taleggio.
- Carefully top with the pineapple-topped bread slices to form sandwiches; press together tightly.
- Brush each side lightly with olive oil.
- Heat a heavy nonstick skillet or panini press over med-high heat.
- Place the sandwiches in the pan, browning and pressing until the first side is crisp and golden and the cheese begins to melt.
- Turn sandwiches and cook the second side, pressing as they brown.
- When the sandwiches are crisp and lightly browned on both sides and the cheese is melted, remove from pan, cut in halves, and serve this messy but delicious sandwich.