Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in an old 1960's cookbook that my mom loves and still uses. I like that it is a made from scratch version.
- 4 cooked boneless chicken breasts
- 1 lb fresh broccoli or 2 (8 ounce) boxes frozen broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups cream (or mixture of cream and chicken broth) or 2 cups whole milk (or mixture of cream and chicken broth)
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- salt, for seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cook fresh broccoli by steaming or boiling until fork tender. (if using frozen, cook as the package directs until fork tender and heated through) Line bottom of baking dish with the broccoli.
- To make the sauce: Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the flour and wisk with the butter for 1 minute. Add the cream or milk slowly wisking constantly.
- Add a tablespoon of the cream sauce to the beaten egg yolks and stir. Then add the egg mixture to the sauce pan. Add lemon juice. Season with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Slice the cooked chicken breasts across the grain thinly into bite sized pieces. Place the chicken evenly over the broccoli. Pour sauce over and then top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 minues until starting to bubble.