Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From an index card in a recipe box I bought at a garage sale in 1960. The recipe uses canned tomatoes but I have also used fresh tomatoes with great results too. Substitute olive or vegetable oil for the bacon grease if you like but the taste won't be quite the same. Good with meatloaf or for serving with leftovers or biscuits.
- Heat bacon grease.
- Add onion and fry until golden.
- Add flour, salt and pepper and cook until light brown (like a roux), stirring constantly.
- Add canned tomatoes, sugar, bay leaf and celery leaves or celery salt.
- Cook for another five minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Rub through a strainer or serve without straining for chunkier sauce.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
Good on top of rice, but I found it lacking a little something. Therefore, I added a teaspoon each of vinegar and sugar which helped. I only used half the amount of bacon grease. Thanks for sharing.