Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a very old recipe my mother learned as a salad lady at a supper club she worked at in the early '50's. I have always enjoyed it and I hope you do also. Could also make a good vegetarian dish. Enjoy!
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 6 -8 hard-boiled eggs, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, diced small
- 8 -10 sweet pickles, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- Beat 2 eggs, set aside.
- In saucepan, blend sugar,flour, then add vinegar and egg mixture. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly(to avoid scrambled eggs) over medium-low heat. Boil long enough to become thick.
- Let dressing cool, slightly.
- Add about half of the can of evaporated milk to dressing and mix well. ( personally use only 1/2 of the can).
- Pour over bean mixture. Mix well Refrigerate 1-3 hours. Longer the better.