Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
no canned cream of mushroom soup in sight.
- 2 lbs round steaks
- seasoned flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, see note
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Note: The recipe reads "1/2 pound peeled, fresh or canned mushrooms, sliced".
- Cut steak into serving sizes and dredge with your favorite seasoned flour. Melt 1/4 cup butter in large frying pan and add mushrooms and onions. Cook until onions are tender and the mushrooms are just lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining butter and when melted add the steak and brown on each side.
- Stir in rest of ingredients and the mushroom mix. Cover and cook until meat is tender enough to cut with a fork.
This is a very different take on country-style steak. Instead of a bland milk gravy, the meat is cooked in a flavorful stroganoff-style sauce, with only the lightest of breadings. If mine didn't come out fork-tender, it was close enough as makes no difference. I've not been a fan of country steak before this, but I believe I have just been converted.